To ensure regulatory compliance, St. James is pleased to provide the following information.
All tests contained in this section may, depending on the result, "reflux" into additional testing - at additional charge.
Please Note: For your convenience, such "reflexive" tests are also identified in this policy. This list is subject to modification.
Reflexive Testing Policy
It is the policy of St. James Healthcare to carefully evaluate all reflexive testing using the following criteria:
- Is the reflexive test required by accrediting agencies (e.g., CAP) or by federal or state mandates (e.g., CLIA)?
- Is the reflexive test considered "good laboratory practice," providing accurate clinical information to the physician?
- Does the reflexive test incur an additional charge, or is it included in the standard test charge?
- Is the ordering physician clearly given the option to order a test with - as well as without - the reflexive testing being performed?
- Has the ordering physician been informed about reflex tests and criteria being utilized through annual physician notice, test change notice or listing in test directory? All tests preprinted on the requisition(s) that might have reflexive tests available clearly offer the option to order with or without reflex testing.
For your convenience, all tests that may reflex are clearly identified within this section of the directory.
Compliance with this policy will be monitored by an annual audit to include:
- Review by the Medical Director of the current reflexive testing practices as well as any new clinical laboratory industry recommendations regarding reflexive testing for appropriateness and compliance.
- Review of all current requisition forms for compliance.
- Review of the St. James Healthcare Test Directory for compliance.
To see a list of the reflexive testing practices at St. James Healthcare, click here.