At St. James Healthcare, we adhere to the National Patient Safety Goals to provide the safest patient care for our patients. Following are the goals and the steps we take to meet the goals.
Encourage Patients' Active Involvement in Their Care
- We communicate to patients and their families how they can report concerns about safety and we encourage them to do so.
Identify Safety Risks
- We identify patients that are being treated for emotional or behavior disorders and that are at risk for suicide.
Improve Accuracy of Patient Identification
- We accurately identify patients before they receive any care, treatment or services by verifying the patient's name, medical record number and/or birth date.
Improve Effectiveness of communication among caregivers
- We "READ Back" all verbal or telephone orders in their entirety.
- We only use approved abbreviations in the documentation of orders, treatment plans, progress notes, test results or discharge plans.
- We strive to improve timeliness of reporting and receipt by caregiver of critical test results and values.
- We standardize our approach to "hand off" communications, including an opportunity to ask and respond to questions.
Improve Medication Safety
- We limit the number of drug concentrations to prevent errors involving the interchange of look-alike/ sound-alike drugs.
- We label all medications, medication containers or other solutions on and off the sterile field in peri-operative and other procedural settings.
Reduce Risk of Health Care-Associated Infections
- We wash our hands with an antimicrobial soap and water or use hygienic, alcohol-based hand sanitizers BEFORE and AFTER all patient contacts.
Reconcile Patient Medications across the continuum of care
- We obtain and document a complete list of the patient's current medications.
- We communicate the list of patient's medications to the next provider of service when the patient is transferred to another setting, service, practitioner or level of care.
- We provide a complete list of medications to the patient on discharge from the facility.
Reduce Risk of Patient Falls
- We reduce patient falls through an effective fall reduction program.
Improve Recognition and Response to Changes in Patient's Condition