The Sisters of Charity trace their origin as a religious community to the 1600s in France where Vincent de Paul and Louise de Marillac established the Daughters of Charity. The Daughters of Charity were dedicated to serving the sick and poor through and this heritage and tradition serves as the foundation for our health ministry today.
Click here to learn more about the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Health System History.
The Sisters arrived in Montana in the 1860s, and following the Battle of the Big Hole, they came to southwestern Montana to care for the sick and wounded. They ventured to Helena, Deer Lodge and Anaconda and in 1881, opened a hospital in Butte to care for the city's copper miners.
The lights at St. James Healthcare have been on since then!